Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips & Reminders for Heating Season

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips & Reminders for Heating Season

Precautions to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning & Safety Tips

Eagle Petroleum NJ Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips & RemindersCarbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that is the common by-product of an incomplete combustion, produced when fossil fuels burn. Since you cannot detect the presence of carbon monoxide by site, taste or smell, it is extremely dangerous. Exposure to small, consistent amounts over time can make you very sick. A high level CO leak in your house can result in death. Understanding these risks ensures you take the highest precautions to protect your family. Eagle Petroleum highlights 13 carbon monoxide safety tips to help you prevent & detect CO in your home.

13 Reminders & Tips to Safeguard your Family from CO

Test the batteries in your Carbon Monoxide Detector. The alarms should be tested every month to ensure the device is operating efficiently.

Call your HVAC technician for an annual service. Whether you have heating oil, gas or charcoal-burning appliances, a qualified technician should be called for an annual maintenance inspection.

Understand the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Dizziness, light-heated and nausea are the most common side effects.

Seek medical help immediately if you experience any of the feelings outlined above.

Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.

Make sure your stove & fireplace are properly vented.

Only run generators, grills, camp stoves & other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices outside.

Generators, pressure washers & other gasoline-powered engines should be used 20+ feet away from all doors, windows & vents.

Do not run a car or truck inside an attached garage – even if the door is left open.

Regularly check your outdoor dryer, furnace, stove & fireplace vents to ensure they are free of snow & other debris.

Inspect the pilot lights on natural gas appliances to ensure flame is blue.

Clean out the lint debris in clothes dryers regularly.

If your alarm goes off leave your home immediately. Do not take any changes. Move to a safe location, call 911 and stay outdoors until emergency personnel tells you it is safe to re-enter.

Related posts